Nehemiah 1: 3-11.
2 Chronicles 20: 3-13
A. Fasting in faith: To receive the full benefits of a fast, we must realize that all that God can do, really are Entitlements.
Entitlements: This is like a government program which guarantees and provides benefits to a particular group. An entitlement does not mean that the benefits will necessary happen. We however hold the title to these benefits.
Title (definition): The aggregate evidence that gives rise to a legal right of possession or control.
Using our entitlements is a choice. We forfeit our right to any entitlement through a life of sin. Take the opportunity of the fast to get right with God.
We have such awesome promises: 2 Pe 1:3-4
B. The ABCs of Faith
- Access the promises of God. So, now we know what the Lord promises (see study II).
- Believe the promises of God. Be convinced about those promises.
- Confess/profess the promises of God.
Profession: A declaration; assert or affirm strongly; to affirm openly; declare or claim. Heb 10:23; Heb 3:1; Heb 4:14
- Do whatever the Lord says to do.
- Endure patiently with praise until your change comes.
C. Fast To-Do-List
- Prayer (Neh 1: 3-11; 2 Chron 20: 3-13)
- Start with worshiping the Lord.
- Repent and confess any sin; acknowledge your shortcomings and blunders which may have brought you to this point.
- Bring the word of God to Him; showing the confidence in which you come.
- State your need before the Lord.
- Let Him know that you are waiting on Him; Thy will be done O Lord. Matt 26:39
The Bible: The WILL OF GOD is not “hit and miss.” God’s will is revealed in the bible.
Read the bible:
- Choose 3 books of the bible and read in 3 weeks.
- Read day and night; 1 chapter in the morning, and 1 in the evening.
Meditate: Think intently and at length on a biblical example.
- Choose any example in the bible that may have faced similar situations and just read their story over and over. Whatever God did for one, He will do for another.
- Pay attention to the conditions, and the principles that brought them out; God does not respect persons; He is predictable in that He will always work with His word and principles. Rom 2:11
Memorize: Take a few scriptures that mean a lot to you and write them out in little pieces of paper and repeat them to yourself over and over. Psa 37:31; Prov 2:1, 10-11
Receive instructions: Fellowship with the Holy Spirit is the Key to a successful fast.
- The Holy Spirit will show you all things. John 16:13
- He will speak a word in your inner ears and tell you where, and how to walk. Isa 30:21
- So ask Him to open your eyes, so that you may behold wondrous things in His word as you read. Psa 119:18
- The Holy Spirit will give you the tongue of the learned; so that you may know when to say, and how to say. Isa 50: 4-5
- The Holy Spirit will himself, teach you how to profit. Isa 48:17
Other scriptures: Isa 32:3-4; Isa 35:5; 1 Jo 2:20, 27; John 14:26; Psa 112:4; John 12:46
Have a book for jotting down:
- Write down little ideas and nuggets as they arise; research them; take them back to the Lord in prayer. Acts 1:14 – 26; Hab 2: 1-3
- Set your will to His will. Yes we are human; but where human strength stops, God’s ability takes over. 2Co 12:9 AMP
Isa 1:19 AMP: If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land.
- Be full of expectations of the supernatural workings of God during your fast.