Frequently Asked Questions (click here to print)
To help you have an effective fast, we have tried to answer some frequently asked questions. Please follow these guidelines if you would like to join us in this corporate fast.
1. What time does the fast start and end daily?
From 6 AM to 6 PM daily. You can fast for fewer hours during the day if you find this is too long
2. What is the scriptural basis for this “Daniel Fast?”
Daniel 10:2-3 MSG
“During those days, I, Daniel, went into mourning over Jerusalem for three weeks. 3 I ate only plain and simple food, no seasoning or meat or wine. I neither bathed nor shaved until the three weeks were up.
This is just our scriptural example. Daniel was the “Prime Minister” in his day, and he had to continue his ministerial duties while his fast was on. This is an excellent fast for people who must seek the Lord with fasting and yet continue with other day-to-day duties.
3. Can we eat or drink during the fast?
Yes: The focus of our fast is the time of prayer, not a hunger-strike or dieting. This is a “Daniel Fast.” By this we mean, that due to the length of this fast you can eat fruits and/or vegetables during the day. We encourage adequate hydration; i.e. take lots of fluids; water, juice etc. At 6 PM after praying, we encourage that you sit down to a nourishing [but not excessive] meal.
Keep it simple: Example of Snacks during the day: Yogurt, peanuts, almonds, cheese sticks etc.
4. Are there any guidelines to praying during this Fast?
Daniel Fast Guidelines
In A.L.I.C., we recommend the following:
– Start the day with a short time of worship (you may use any worship CD to enhance your worship).
– Read the scripture reading, and Mounting UP Devotional for the day (click). – Read the A.L.I.C. 2018 confession (click) out loud.
– Take your prayer points to the Lord (we encourage you to submit your prayer points online (click), so we can agree with you).
– Write down any “word” from the Lord that strikes you as important or strikes you as an instruction (see Fasting study III (click). Thank the Lord for answered prayers.
– In the evening, read the devotional evening bible portion (found in the hard copy of the 365-day devotional; purchase here).
We encourage everyone to read as much of the word of God as possible during this time of fast; God speaks!
5. What can I expect from this fast?
Please see Fasting study II (click)